Sunday, March 10, 2013

The One Who Sustains

     Today, March 10th, 2013, I have completed my undergraduate degree! I wanted to commemorate this day by writing a post to share what God has taught me throughout the more-than-four-years it took me to finish my degree (a B.A. in English Literature).
     My journey actually began in my Junior year of high school, when I started taking classes at the local community college through my high school's Running Start program. I did Running Start exclusively during my Senior year, and, by God's grace, I graduated high school with 82 college credits. As a result, I was able to begin my university experience as a transfer student, which I was very grateful for.
     For as long as I can remember, I never had any strong aspirations about continuing on after high school to pursue a bachelor's degree. Not because I didn't know it could be very useful or because I disliked school (I didn't), but because my heart's greatest desire had always been to be a stay-at-home wife and mother. I had played around with the idea of pursuing different careers, even joining the military, as all my siblings had done, but nothing ever gave me lasting peace. As a result, you can imagine that my drive and passion for going to college was lacking. I went anyway, however, because I knew the Lord would not want me to be idle and going to college seemed to be the next logical step in my life (which is why I was grateful I could start as a transfer student).
     After high school, my mom and I moved to CO, where I eventually began attending the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs. I decided not to pursue a degree in English because (this may sound strange) I knew it was my strongest area, and I wanted to give myself more of a challenge. Thus, I originally began pursuing a degree in Psychology, because the idea of being a counselor had always interested me. However, I discovered early on that a Psychology degree was not right for me, so I decided to change my major to English Literature after all.
     This is the first lesson God taught me: Whatever skill I have with reading, writing, and working with the English language in general comes from the Lord and, as a result, there must be a reason why He has given me these specific abilities. I was unsure what that reason might be, but I decided back then to embrace the skills He has given me and to trust that He will direct me to use them for His glory. I still do not know exactly what I will/may use my degree for, but God gave me peace shortly after my husband, Brian, and I began dating in 2010, that He wanted me to finish my degree once Brian and I were married (I had taken a break from college at that point because of a personal situation). Brian and I got married May 7th, 2011, I transferred to Grand Canyon University to finish my degree online, and today that goal has been realized!
     This is the second lesson God taught me: Nothing is impossible with the Lord. Despite whatever obstacles, whether real or imagined, I or others saw placed on the path to my degree, the Lord was faithful to see me through and to sustain me to the end (and to this new beginning). He taught me that no matter how uncertain the future may seem, He is in complete control and He will be my Sustainer and Provider through it all--and He was. He sustained me through trials both in and outside of school, and He taught me that as long as I am faithful to seek His will above all else, He will be faithful to reveal it in His time.
     The third lesson God taught me is not to view undesirable situations as undesirable, but rather as opportunities to share His love and grace with others. Several times throughout my classes at GCU, we would have group papers or projects. I am not a fan of group papers/projects to begin with, because it is naturally easier (and usually safer) to only have to worry about your own work. However, group work can be even more frustrating in an online setting, largely because of the lack of face-to-face communication. Looking back, I know I had no reason to worry and be frustrated like I was, because every group I was in worked hard and God brought everything together in the end. Most humbling of all, however, was how God used the groups to bring certain women into my life, whom God used me to encourage, assist, and comfort during trials they were going through at the time.
     In one such case, I had no idea that my short message of sympathy and encouragement to a woman who was facing the one year anniversary of her father's death would end up blessing her as much as it did. That one message turned into many more, and she told me that she truly believed God had placed us in the same group at that time so I could offer her the comfort she needed. I was blessed to know that the Lord had used me to encourage her so greatly, especially because I didn't do anything more than email her and respond to her emails--but it was what she needed, and God knew. Most of all, I was humbled. I knew that, if it had been up to me, I never would have chosen to do a group paper...but God had other plans, and He turned a situation that I would have avoided into an opportunity to love a hurting heart. This was one of the greatest lessons I learned during my college career, and I pray it is one I will not soon forget.
     Fourthly, God taught me to never stop praying to Him for wisdom and direction. Because God gave me victory paper after paper, it could have been easy for me to stop asking Him for help, to assume that the wisdom would come. Or, even worse, it could have been easy for me to start relying on my own skill instead of relying on God, from whom any ability I have has come.
     God revealed to me during my college career a seed of pride in my heart regarding my writing that could have grown into a tree of arrogance, were it not for His abundant grace that brought me to tears of repentance, and a renewed understanding that all I am is from and in and by and for Christ. He taught me that no matter how much knowledge I have attained, there is always more for me to learn, but I must be willing and humble enough to receive it.
     So, paper after paper, I renewed my prayers and petitions for wisdom and guidance, because every new challenge was, and is, a new opportunity for me either to choose to rely upon myself or to rely upon the Lord, and to choose to believe that He will grant me wisdom if I have faith and not doubt (James 1:5-6). By His grace, He taught me only to rely upon Him, and I pray I always will.   
     I have no doubt there are many more lessons I could share of what I learned over the past almost-eight years of my college career, but I think these are enough to demonstrate the power, faithfulness, love, and mercy of the One who sustained me through it all. He sustained me through far more than just my undergraduate degree--He sustained me through many other trials and challenges life threw my way, and I would not be where I am today, or who I am today, without Him. Jesus used my amazing husband and other dear friends and family to be His hands and words and heart to me during that time as well, and I am forever grateful for the gift of their love, faith, and guidance.
    
     Lord, whatever the future may hold, may I remember not to be afraid to use the abilities You have given me, and to always remember from Whom they come. Please help me to remember not to shirk undesirable circumstances but to seize them as opportunities to reach out and touch others' lives and hearts for Your glory. Keep me humble. May I never stop asking You for wisdom and guidance in my life. May I believe and not doubt that You will grant me the wisdom I seek. May I always remember what You have sustained me through, so when new challenges and trials arise, I will not fear but trust in You. Most of all, dear Savior, may I remember that nothing is impossible for You, no matter the mountains that surround me, that are only hills in the mist. Thank You, thank You, thank You for sustaining me through this chapter in my life! Thank You for what You have in store for me today and in the future. Thank You for enabling me to complete my degree. Above all else, thank You, Jesus, for making me complete in You. To You alone be the glory and honor and power and praise!
     In Your holy and precious Name I pray,
          Amen

1 comment: