Tuesday, August 28, 2012

A Rose of Thorns

For several months now (perhaps even years), I have contemplated whether or not I should begin a blog. Recently, my sister, Grace, started a blog (songofpraise.wordpress.com), in which she shares the lessons God is teaching her through her quiet time with Him, and I have been extremely blessed by what she has shared in her blog. I found myself beginning to think more seriously about starting my own blog, that I might also share what the Lord is teaching me with others, and I finally decided to stop stalling, start one, and see what happens.

This, then, is the beginning of a new adventure for me. An opportunity for the Lord to humble me, refine me, draw me closer to Him, and use me, I pray, to encourage and uplift others along the way. In case y'all are wondering, I chose "roseofthorns7" as my blog address, not just because my last name is Thorn ;), but because it is an illustration of how I see myself in Christ. God has known me since eternity past and I am created exactly as He meant me to be. I was created to reflect His beauty and glory to this world, just as the rose does. I am a new creation in Christ, but I am still a flawed girl. I struggle to become more like Jesus each day, but so often all I can see are the thorns of sin that still pierce my flesh, heart, and mind, rather than God's amazing love and grace that have covered them all. 

My blog then is not only meant, Lord willing, to be a source of encouragement to others (which is one of my greatest desires!), but it is also a tool which I feel the Lord desires to use to transform my heart and mind to be more in line with His truth. Rather than trying to battle my thorns on my own, I want to embrace the truth that Jesus' power and strength is within me and with me each day to strengthen me when I am weak, to pick me up when I fall, and to quiet my soul when I am overwhelmed. I want to grow in the knowledge that I am a "rose" that He loves and cherishes and is faithfully pruning each day so that my thorns will no longer be a shameful reminder of my sins but rather a joyful reflection of His glory!

Lord, may this be A New Beginning in my life, the start of knowing You more, and of learning to know and believe who I am in You. Thank You for the new beginning that each day brings, for the opportunity to trust that Your mercies are new every morning and that You are faithful, even when I am faithless. Thank You for Your amazing love that never ends. I love You! In Your holy and precious Name I pray, Amen.        

1 comment:

  1. I love your new blog and I can't wait to read about all that the Lord is teaching you and leading you to share!! What a wonderful way to connect and share our lives with others! I love you!

    ReplyDelete